Lyon Climate & Temperature
- Lyon, France is at 45°43'N, 4°56'E, 198 m (650 ft). See map.
- Lyon has a marine west coast climate that is mild with no dry season, warm summers. Heavy precipitation occurs during mild winters which are dominated by mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Lyon is situated in or near the cool temperate moist forest biome.
- The annual average temperature is 11.5 degrees Celsius (52.6 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 19 °C (34.2°F). This indicates that the continentality type is oceanic, subtype semicontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 6°C (42.8°F) on average falling to -0.3°C (31.4°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 16.3°C (61.4°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 6°C (42.8°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 25.7°C (78.2°F) and average low temperatures are 14°C (57.2°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 16.3°C (61.4°F) during the day and lows of 7.7°C (45.8°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 824.5 mm (32.5 inches) which is equivalent to 824.5 Litres/m² (20.22 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2018 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Lyon you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Te Wharau, Glenburn, New Zealand (Warm temperate thorn steppe biome).
Lyon Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Lyon Climate Graph in Metric Units
Lyon Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Lyon, France Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Currently under general maintenance.|
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Dijon, France - 171.8 kms (106.8 miles) N
- Bern, Switzerland - 237.1 kms (147.4 miles) NE
- Interlaken, Switzerland - 249.7 kms (155.1 miles) ENE
- Montreux, Switzerland - 172.5 kms (107.2 miles) ENE
- Geneva, Switzerland - 108.7 kms (67.5 miles) ENE
- Torino/ Caselle, Italy - 219.3 kms (136.3 miles) ESE
- Grenoble, France - 87.9 kms (54.6 miles) SE
- Turin, Piedmont, Italy - 225.3 kms (140 miles) ESE
- Torino, Italy - 231.4 kms (143.8 miles) ESE
- Marseille, France - 255.4 kms (158.7 miles) S